Wednesday, August 31, 2011
Tuesday, August 16, 2011
It seems like the International Speech Contest was just yesterday…..and actually the World Championship of Public Speaking will be held in a week, on Saturday August 20 at the Toastmasters International Convention, and you can watch the Championship live at http://wcps.toastmasters.org but regardless it is time to start getting ready for the fall contests: the Table Topics Contest and the Humorous Speech Contest! Any member may compete, no matter how many speeches you have given in the club! So everyone has a chance to shine!
The Table Topics Contest will be held on September 7, and the Humorous Speech Contest the following week (September 14). Both are pretty straightforward – the Table Topic response should be 1 minute to 2 minutes 30 seconds, and the humorous speech can be 4:30-7:30 (essentially 5-7 minutes with a 30-second buffer on either side). Speech rules and further details are on the TMI website: http://www.toastmasters.org/contests.aspx You can also contact any of the officers if you have any questions on the contests.
If you’d like to be a contestant in either of the contests, please email Jason Kent.
Tuesday, August 9, 2011
Tuesday, August 2, 2011
Being Toastmaster for a meeting is a fun, rewarding role! There is a little preparation to do before the meeting and one follow-up after the meeting in addition to the in-meeting duties of the Toastmaster. The list below summarizes the Toastmaster’s duties.
Toastmaster duties before the meeting:
· Contact the speakers and obtain speech title & length and any info to relate in the introduction of the speaker.
· Make sure all roles are filled – check the duty roster and confirm that people with roles are attending the meeting.
· Prepare remarks relative to the theme of the week.
· Prepare and print out copies of the meeting agenda (template is attached).
Toastmaster duties in the minutes before the meeting:
· Arrive early to the meeting to help set up the room and distribute the agendas and voting sheets.
· Welcome guests in person.
· If people with roles are not present by noon, find a replacement for their role.
Toastmaster duties during the meeting:
· Have an officer (Club president Ania, if she is present) start the meeting on time at 12:00 noon.