Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Our New Member, Jackie Scherer, says hi!

Hello, my name is Jackie Scherer, and I am a User Experience Designer for Viewpoint Construction Software.  I work to design software and other digital environments for optimal performance and experience.  My professional background includes user interface design and development, graphic design, marketing, and project management. 

User Experience Design is a new field with its own set of language.  Sometimes the concepts in UX Design can be difficult to explain, but it has become increasingly relevant in our lives in the Smartphone Era.  I need to be able to convey the importance of good design in simple terms to a variety of audiences – from engineers to business people.  I hope Toastmasters can better prepare me to quickly gather and deliver my thoughts in a impactful and compelling way.

My main creative outlet outside of work is singing and songwriting.  (I would describe my style as “Soulful Nu Jazz”).  My athletic side enjoys skiing, yoga, and running.  I have spent most of my life in the Portland area.  I got my Bachelors’ Degree in Graphic Design at Western State College in a small town called Gunnison, Colorado.  I ended up there because of my competitive skiing background.  Gunnison is nearby Crested Butte, a world class ski resort where I skied up to four days a week, and I was crazy enough to compete in the US Extreme Freeskiing Championships.  I’m still an adrenaline junkie, but I’ve mellowed out since then!

By Jackie Scherer

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if Jackie still moonlights as a Soulful Nu Jazz Singer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie’s had a lot of varied experiences. I wonder if she’s a good jazz singer.

    ReplyDelete